Surrogacy or Rental Womb, is a method of Assisted Reproductive Treatment (ART). In this method, a woman develops child for another couple in her uterus. Surrogacy is a very complex issue involving medical, emotional, financial and legal issues as well .
Who needs it?
When a female is unable to produce baby due to medical, genetic or any other reasons, then the couple takes the help of a surrogate mother, who will charge them for their child in her womb. Surrogacy may be required in following situations:
• When a woman have difficulty in maintaining the pregnancy.
• Fibroid in the uterus, abnormalities in the size & structure of uterus for various reasons.
• Damage to the lining of the uterus (Asrmans Syndrome) and Genital Tuberculosis.
• Repeated abortion despite modern treatment.
• Failure of IVF treatment again & again in spite of development good-quality embryos.
• Woman who has undergone Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus through surgery) operation.
• Females having their uterus not developed properly from birth.
• Diabetes and Hypertension .
Gestational Surrogacy: In vitro fertilization (IVF) has made possible the proliferation of mother’s egg with father’s sperm. Then it is also feasible to implant this fertilized egg in uterus of surrogate mother for gestation. The surrogate mother develops the child her womb till the birth of child. The Gestational Surrogate mother has no genetic relationship with the child. This is because her eggs were not used in development of this child. In India, Gestational Surrogacy is allowed & is legal also. It is legally less complicated. This is because both father & mother are genetically concerned with the child.